[CentOS] centosplus kernel

Thu Oct 27 15:46:49 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Karanbir Singh enlightened us:
> You should be able to just grab the sources from
> download.fedora.redhat.com and rebuild ? you might need
> to update some other core pkgs to satisfy depends tho.

As much as I'm labelled a Fedora proponent, the Fedora kernel
is not something I'd run on RHEL/CentOS.  There's just too
many support/changes.  Building a RHEL kernel on Fedora is
one thing (which I've done to show that you can build RHEL
out of Fedora, with just a few SRPMS from RHEL for kernel,
etc...).  But going the other way is a whole different
ballgame -- Fedora kernels don't take to RHEL systems well.

If you want Fedora features, IMHO, it's best to rebuild from
the RHEL/CentOS kernel, patching in what you need --
sparringly -- from the Fedora kernels.  Yes, this is
involved.

I think Johnny's work on getting a SGI guy on-board is
probably the best bet to good XFS support.  When Red Hat sees
that someone is pro-actively working on solid XFS support for
their RHEL kernels, I sincerely hope they take more interest
(even if unofficial/unsupported).

I would almost argue that there should be just a RHEL kernel
with XFS added, and not everything added.  But I am in no
position with CentOS' development to suggest such.

Matt Hyclak <hyclak at math.ohiou.edu> wrote:
> I tried this the other day and it builds ok. On install it
> wanted a bunch of updated SELinux stuff. I started down the
> path, but the checkpolicy src.rpm refused to build, so I
> gave up for now.

Yeah, there's just too much different between the Fedora and
RHEL kernels.