[CentOS] blocking outgoing ports with iptables

Sun Oct 30 23:52:43 UTC 2005
Ryan <ryanag at zoominternet.net>

On Sunday 30 October 2005 01:15 am, Ajay Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using the generic system-config-securitylevel-tui program on a
> remote server to configure my firewall.  So far it's been fairly decent,
> allowing me to open up ports and whatnot.  But I want to start blocking
> a couple of outgoing ports on my machine.  I want to lock it down so the
> only traffic going in our out of my machine is stuff that I specify.
>
> Is there a way to do this with the system-config-securitylevel program?
>   If not, what do you recommend I use to configure the firewall?
>
> thanks,
> ajay
All these will work:

firestarter http://www.fs-security.com/
shorewall http://www.shorewall.net/
kmyfirewall http://kmyfirewall.sourceforge.net/
guarddog http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/
fwbuilder http://www.fwbuilder.org/

But I strongly recommend firestarter for the job you are talking about. THe
documentation is good ( http://www.fs-security.com/docs/policy-page.php ),
and you'll have it configured in ten minutes.