[CentOS] Cyrus firstname.lastname at domain

Mon Oct 31 00:39:17 UTC 2005
Dave Hornford <OSD at HOrnfordAssociates.com>

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Dave Hornford wrote:
>
>> All I need to do is maintain email address format
>> firstname.lastname at domain, I do not need these as either
>> unix/windows(samba) usernames. Currently these are a mixed bag of
>> firstname, initiallastname & lastname. One step on the migration is
>> to at least standardize the new ones.
>

> Than simply use virtusertable (if you use sendmail, or whatever is
> postfix equivalent if you use postfix) to map email addresses in
> first.last at domain format to actual usernames.  This is kind of
> standard thing to do, and I'm surprised you haven't done it that way
> while you were on courier too.

Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:

> Dave Hornford wrote:
>
>> All I need to do is maintain email address format
>> firstname.lastname at domain, I do not need these as either
>> unix/windows(samba) usernames. Currently these are a mixed bag of
>> firstname, initiallastname & lastname. One step on the migration is
>> to at least standardize the new ones.
>

> Than simply use virtusertable (if you use sendmail, or whatever is
> postfix equivalent if you use postfix) to map email addresses in
> first.last at domain format to actual usernames.  This is kind of
> standard thing to do, and I'm surprised you haven't done it that way
> while you were on courier too.

Aleksandar,
Its the result of reading something about an app I know nothing about
and attempting to head-off a problem before I get there.
In retrospect what I read, and the follow-up google searches that showed
there might be a problem, were from people who knew less than I did.
But that is the internet - help files and directions written for people
who know what to do, and help queries from the lost, who don't even know
what terminology to use when asking for help.

Dave