[CentOS] CentOS and older megaraid.

Mon Oct 31 15:10:24 UTC 2005
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 13:59 +0000, Bachir DJEBBAR wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> I am trying to install CentOS 4.2 on Dell PowerEdge 2300 with PERC
> 2/SC RAID controller and as
> many others  I've found your procedure in
>
> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-August/010021.html
>
> I've followed the steps but in the first boot I've the following
> error :

> Uncompressing Linux ... Ok, booting the kernel.
>
> PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 4 of device 0000:00:07.1
>
> Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.6 starting
>
> mkrootdev: label /1 not found
>
> mount: error 2 mounting ext3
>
> mount: error 2 mounting none
>
> switchroot: mount failed: 22
>
> umount /initrd/dev  failed:2
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing : Attempted to kill init!

> Am I in wrong when I've used your procedure to install CentOS 4.2 ?
>
> I need your help, I'm in stuck since three weeks and I have repeated
> your procedure many times
> and now I asked my self may be this is only for CentOS 4.0 ?
----
yeah - CentOS 4.2 is different kernel and I suspect that the tarball
used needs to be updated for the kernel. You should probably download
the 4.1 cd's from archives and use those if possible or you would have
to obtain newer kernel source to get updated module code for megaraid.

As for only CentOS 4 - actually anything that builds off of RHEL 4 which
is where the decision was made to drop support for those specific
megaraid/perc RAID controllers.

Craig

believed to be clean.