[CentOS] Best mkfs.ext2 performance options on RAID5 in CentOS 4.2

Mon Oct 31 22:27:13 UTC 2005
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Sean Staats <sstaats at questia.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to get the read and write performance better
> than approximately 40MB/s on an ext2 file system.
> IMO, this is horrible performance for a 6-drive, hardware
> RAID 5 array.
> 2 x 2.8GHz Xeons
> 6GB RAM
> 1 3ware 9500S-12

You should be getting much, much higher than 40MBps reads on
any 3Ware controller.  As far as writes, there were some bugs
in the early 9.2 firmware that should be cleared up.  You
shouldn't be seeing anything that slow on a 9500S.

It's not the filesystem.  It's probably the card/array
configuration.

> 2 x 6-drive, RAID 5 arrays

Again, the early 9.2 firmware had a performance bug with
multiple volumes.  What is your firmware?

> with a stripe size of 256KB.

Any reason you went with a 256KiB stripe size?
I typically stick with the 32KiB default.