[CentOS] [OT] DNS - asking for your opinion

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Sep 1 17:10:59 UTC 2005

IMHO the convention is stupid (and isn't really any convention - everyone
does it differently, i've seen x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa being CNAMEs to:
x.128.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa, x.128/25.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa
x.128-255.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa, x.128-25.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa or even
x.x.x.x.revdns.company.com or x.revdns.company.com) and the only
reason it's even there is because Bind is brain-dead.  There's no need to
use anything besides normal x.x.x.x.in-addr.arpa (especially if you use
djbdns or if you're willing to put a little more work into bind).

Cheers,
MaZe.