[CentOS] Moving the Home dir to new server

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 2 23:17:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 13:38 -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
> Bryan -
> Sounds like it is time to break out the books....

Nah, not even that:
  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/NIS-HOWTO.html

Again, I suggested NIS because it uses your
_existing_ /etc/hosts, /etc/passwd, etc... files.
You literally just setup the Makefile on what UID/GID to start with, and
everything else is turned into NIS maps.

> And this sounds like NIS will work in some capacity for
> backups...right?

NIS can push to a slave server which services in its absence (or even
for load considerations), yes.

LDAP is definitely better when you have a large network and aren't
interested in just taking existing files.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com