[CentOS] Accents in filenames on vfat filesystem

dan1

dan1 at edenpics.com
Sat Sep 3 14:10:19 UTC 2005

Hello.

I am trying to create a text file that contains an accent like 'é' in it's
filename on a vfat filesystem. This generates an error like the following:
"testé.txt" E212: Can't open file for writing

I have made a 'modprobe nls_cp850' and 'modprobe nls_iso8859-1' to load
those needed modules.
Then I mounted my FAT32 partition like this:

mount -t vfat -o iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850  /dev/hdb1 /samba_backups

The mount succeeded but I still cannot create or copy a file that has an
accent in it's filename. Of course I can create without any problem a file
without any accent once the filesystem mounted the same way.

It seems that other people on other systems are having no problems.

Does somebody knows what happens and what I am doing wrong, and that would
have any suggestion ?

Thank you.
Daniel