[CentOS] [OT] Services for Unix being built into Win2K3-R2

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Sep 3 17:59:50 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-03 at 08:43 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> I found this article about Microsoft SFU being built into the new
> Windows 2003 Server R2 very interesting.
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+makes+Unix+changes/2100-1016_3-5845790.html?tag=cd.top
> What does this signify?

It means Microsoft is now going to officially support the services.
Before they treated SFU more like a "Resource Kit."

> Is Windows ready to really co-exist with Unix / Linux ... or are they
> going to try and provide similar functionality because they recognize it
> is better technology moving forward?

They are all _legacy_ services -- NIS, NFS v2 (v3 yet?), Interix
(formerly MKS) utilities, etc...

They literally have clients that require it.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com