[CentOS] Cookbook receipe for SCSI tape install requested.

Sean O'Connell oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu
Wed Sep 7 03:09:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 22:54 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> On 6 Sep 2005 at 18:13, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
> > You will have to select the correct module for your controler, and
> > configure it (/etc/modprobe.conf). lspci might give you the information
> > you need to get started.
> Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology for my request.  I am
> seeking assistance in configuring linux to recognize and use a scsi
> tape drive.  The scsi controller was added to this system for the
> sole purpose of supporting the tape unit long after the os was
> loaded.  I do not know how to tell the linux kernel to select and
> load the necessary module to access the scsi controller and thence
> the tape drive.  That is why I sought a cookbook solution to this
> problem. There must be somewhere, a well defined series of steps that
> one goes through to identify, select, and configure the appropriate
> module for a specific scsi adapter.  I lack this knowledge and this
> is what I seek.
> lspci yields this:
> 05:04.0 SCSI storage controller: Initio Corporation 360P (rev 02)
> /etc/modeprobe.conf contains this:
> alias eth0 e100
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0
> alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
> alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
> SO. What do 	I put into modprobe.conf to get the system to recognize
> the scsi controller?  Is there a utility to detect and do this?  I
> appreciate all the assistance but I need a more basic, step by step,
> explanation of how to go about this.

If you run kudzu (Redhat's hardware config utility) by hand as root,
does it see the card and attempt to configure it? kudzu should generate
the proper magic in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf and in /etc/modprobe.conf.
Based on a quick google, this should be supported by the initio module.

If kudzu fails to do the magic, try

modprobe initio

You could also add an entry to /etc/modprobe.conf

alias scsi_hostadapter initio

modprobe scsi_hostadapter