[CentOS] hdparm: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Sep 7 15:59:20 UTC 2005

Kai <centos.newsgroup at sandsengen.com> wrote:
> Thank you very much for your apply. No there's no specific
> issue, I am doing studies on linux and now, optimizing the
> linux system.

As with any SCSI host adapter, the optimizations can be done
at the module (driver) itself.  Again, run "modinfo -p" on
the SCSI host adapter driver (e.g., for nVidia's SATA,
"modinfo -p nv_sata").  Unlike WD/ESDI/IDE/ATA, which is
typically one large portion of the static kernel, the SCSI
subsystem is a modular and flexible stack of support.

> Started on the disc's, I'm also trying to customizing a
> kernel for my system's.
> Just digging in, and digging my own grave I guess. :)

Except for embedded, I haven't rebuilt a kernel since Red Hat
Linux 6.1.  By Red Hat Linux 6.2, everything was so well
done, modular-wise, I just started building initrds, as well
as kernels from .src.rpm when I needed to patch.