[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Wed Sep 7 19:43:52 UTC 2005

Ok, that _CANNOT_ be yum's problem, some other part of your system is
flaky.  Either Hard Disk, or HDD drivers, or RAM, or CPU, or kernel
drivers for one of the above.  But it is _NOT_ yum.  It can't be. Yum may
be the most likely to trigger it, but that doesn't make it it's problem.
It just isn't possible (no program can freeze the machine under linux, if
a program does freeze the machine, then either there's a bug in the
kernel, a hardware error or the program is running with ioport priveledges
(which yum doesn't use)).  Again, try running memtest86 and mprime on it -
verify that the systems CPU and RAM are stable, then try running some disk
intensive tasks, then try running them concurrent to mprime.  But it's
99.99% guaranteed that you either have flaky hardware or flaky kernel
drivers.

Cheers,
MaZe.