[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Sep 8 01:40:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 21:43 +0200, Maciej ÿÿenczykowski wrote:
> > Ok, that _CANNOT_ be yum's problem, some other part of your system is
> > flaky.  Either Hard Disk, or HDD drivers, or RAM, or CPU, or kernel
> > drivers for one of the above.  But it is _NOT_ yum.  It can't be. Yum may
> > be the most likely to trigger it, but that doesn't make it it's problem.
>
> Yum does some very CPU and disk intensive operations ... which can make
> things like bad memory, overloaded power supplies, bad cooling fans,
> etc. have an effect.
>
> I agree with Maciej .. I don't see how yum could, by itself, cause a
> hard freeze.

Resource starvation can present itself as a hard freeze of the system.
Where even the mouse seems to be unwilling to react :)

Not sure if it's the case here, but it's normal for people to think in
this ocassion that the system simply died even though it may just be
trashing until eternity.

Kind regards,