[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Dave Gutteridge dave at tokyocomedy.com
Thu Sep 8 13:46:11 UTC 2005

> Reason why I ask is that freshrpms dont host packages that are usable
> on any CentOS version. If you are pulling in packages from there....

I thought CentOS 4 was equal to Red Hat Enterprise 4, and freshrpms
seems to have RPMS for Enterprise 4.

Actually, this leads me to a question I wanted to ask anyway. I've been
advised here before that I should always try to install things through
Yum or RPMs. I've been told that installing from tar files and building
from source is a bad idea.

But what does one do when there is software that is readily available
for other Linux distros, and is theoretically buildable for CentOS, but
not available from the standard Yum repositories like Dag and CentOS's
own? Is one supposed to contact the repository owner and request the
software be included?

Dave