[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:35:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 11:53, William Hooper wrote:

> > Does anyone delete released packages from repositories?
>
> I know there have been more than two errata versions of httpd for RHEL 3,
> but I only see two in the CentOS updates repo.

I think Centos is a special case where the repositories shift for the
point releases and only contain the updates past the versions on
the rebuilt isos.  I've had a few surprises from this, but they
would not have been reduced by having local snapshots.

> >  I'm looking for something like a tag that can be applied to a
> > CVS repository that would be applied by
> > someone who knows the state is consistent and can be used by anyone else to
> > retrieve exactly that state regardless of ongoing changes.
>
> Again, if you run the repository, you get to decide on the changes.

But you would have to install all of your own spec files and build
all the rpms so you control the dependencies for that to help.  The
point of using a distribution that has official updates is to
let someone else do that.  I just want my update tool to be able
to know when they have completed a consistent set of those
changes - or that the mirror I'm pulling from has the consistent
set available.

>  One
> approach would be to create multiple repos at different stages (using
> hardlinks as needed to reduce disk space).  OTOH, I personally can't see a
> need for more than "testing" and "stable" repos.  If a machine falls out
> of these two categories for any reason, it probably needs to be handled
> more hands on anyway, and would get the needed exclusions in the config
> files.

Personally, I think 'stable' is exactly the wrong term for the one
that is missing known bug and security fixes.  'Broken' and 'fixed'
might be better descriptions if they are in different states.  The
point is that it is almost always better to have the updates than
not have them.  The people going to the trouble of making them
generally know what they are doing.  I just want to avoid surprises
like you get in the middle of a repository update or when
mirrors aren't in sync.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com