[CentOS] Trying to control the torrent of spam...

Mike McCarty

mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 8 18:09:34 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 11:21 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 2005-08-28 at 11:01, Preston Crawford wrote:
>>

>>>An IDEAL setup would be one where spam gets auto-forwarded to the FTC's
>>>spam email address and to BlueSecurity.com. But I don't know if such a
>>>program exists for Linux.
>>
>>Auto forwarding of such messages is not a good idea.  If there are any
>>false positives you could end up having legit email marked as spam and
>>sent to these third party systems.  You should have some kind of
>>confirmation before sending on such email.
>

> That's a good point. That's just me speaking in frustration. When the
> spam turns to phone calls on your CELL PHONE it starts to get really
> maddening. It makes you want to change your phone number and your email
> address every 6 months. Which, if you're a software developer and a
> contractor (like me), isn't very practical. People have to know how to
> reach you.

[snip]

Do you live in the U.S.A? Does the spammer live in the U.S.A? If so,
then I suggest you get on the national "Do Not Call" list. If they
persist in calling you, then you can get (a) money and (b) criminal
charges filed against them.

Won't help with the SPAM much, but should cause the phone calls to
taper off.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.