[CentOS] Noarch?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Sep 8 19:31:59 UTC 2005

Cody Holland <cholland at redmoonbroadband.com> wrote:
> I'm very new to Linux, so please be very patient.
> What is the difference between a src.rpm and a noarch.rpm?

_All_ end-user RPMs are "built" from their .src.rpm.

The .noarch.rpm is an end-user RPM that is not architecture
specific.  I.e., it works on all platforms -- .i386.rpm,
.x86_64.rpm, .ppc.rpm, etc...

Typical .noarch.rpm packages are configuration, script and
other files that do not have binaries, or are platform
independent bytecode (e.g., p-code intepreted by another
binary).