[CentOS] maximum cpus/cores in CentOS 4.1

Thu Sep 8 21:16:16 UTC 2005

Just for the record, here are the default values for the kernel variable
"CONFIG_NR_CPUS=" for the following arches:

x86_64=1

x86_64.smp=8

i686=1

i686.smp=32

ppc=4

ppc64=64

s390=32

s390x=64

ia64=64

These values are the default values for RH ... the only one I see as a
major problem actually is x86_64 ... I would think that 8 might be too
small with the dual core machines out there.  I would think 4 dual core
machines would show up as 8 CPUS ... anything more would probabl ynot be
recognized correctly.

Currently we are not changing these values in either the main or
centosplus kernels, but we might set all the smp supported config files
to 64 in the centosplus kernel for future versions.

Thanks to Karanbir Singh (z00dax on IRC) for helping me researching
this :)