[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 15:58:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:44, William Hooper wrote:

> > The only reason there is even a possible savings is that yum circumvents
> > standard http/ftp caching practices by randomizing the source locations.
>
> We've been through this before.  Yum only changes servers if you use the
> mirror list option.  By default CentOS (at least 4) doesn't, so what is
> the problem?

Most of my machines are running 3.5.

> > Even then, you'd have to update a vast number of server-type machines to
> > make up for the fact that rsync'ing the repository is going to pull copies
> > of updates for a gazillion programs that no machine has installed.
>
> So don't rsync it.  Pull the RPMs from your test machine's yum cache and
> make your own repo.

That's actually the most sensible suggestion so far.  Is there a generic
automation for this?  Yum over ssh or something that doesn't take
additional setup/infrastructure for every variation of Linux
distributions or architecture I might like to use?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com