[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 16:08:26 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 10:51, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > Yum doesn't do that at all ... we at CentOS do it on purpose.
> >
> > We can't possibly provide access by one server to all the CentOS users
> > who want to do updates.  We transmit more than 18 TB of data per month
> > for updates and rsyncs ... so we use something called rrdns (round robin
> > DNS) to create mirror.centos.org (or us-mirror and eu-mirror) for yum,
> > and msync.centos.org(or us-msync, eu-msync) for rsync.  Those names all
> > have multiple machines that respond in a round robin way to requests.
> >

> One thing I wanted to point out though, since one name is used (ie,
> mirror.centos.org)... most caching proxy servers would cache the
> results.

Yes, rrdns does work fine with standard caching techniques.  It is
the one where yum pulls a file containing a list of mirror urls
and uses one of them that gets new copies all the time.  Maybe
it is the fedora boxes doing that.  If so, its one of those things
I wish I didn't need to know about.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com