[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 19:11:49 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 13:28, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Please quantify easy.  Will you do it for me every time it
> > needs to be done?  Today I'd have a use for at least 6
> > variations, although I guess you'd double that with the
> > suggested overlap of testing/staging instances.
>
> So, in other words, you want a service that provides custom
> tagging, revisioning and/or date-based retrieval.  That
> includes your wish for a dynamic delta'ing repository and
> real-time RPM generation.

Is that what you were saying was easy?

> Again, I don't think you understand what delta'ing systems
> like CVS does compared to just a "HTTP accessable" repository
> trees.  A world of difference!

I've never said I wanted deltas. I've said I wanted yum
to not consider additions to a repository past a certain
timestamp so it will make the same update decision it did
a week or so ago even if the repostitory has additions.

You said the alternative was easy.  This question was just to
find out what you mean by "easy". Put a price tag on what you
mean when you say easy.

How much would it cost for you to do it your easy way for
me - to have perhaps a dozen repository states saved and
10 clients configured to use each of them?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com