[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Fri Sep 9 19:51:19 UTC 2005

Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> so therefore - I am not allowed to ask the question?

But what question are you asking and why?  You are mentioning
that someone should try SmartPM, which will do _nothing_ to
solve the problem we are discussing.

> I didn't realize that your vastly superior knowledge

Give me a break.  I am a _major_advocate_ of SmartPM.  But
this isn't about the end-user tool.  It's about the
repository and/or service.  SmartPM has nothing to do with
that.  SmartPM uses YUM.

And as someone else pointed out, it could actually make
things worse with what we're discussing.  But SmartPM
accesses a YUM repository, and the YUM repository is where
this capability could _only_ be addressed.

> of all things also permitted you to dictate topicality.

Dude, I do _not_ dictate what topics are discussed.

But one thing I really can't stand is when many people are
trying to figure out a solution, and different people keep
interjecting things because they don't understand the root
problem.  And why don't they?  They don't take the time to
understand.

I merely pointed out that SmartPM, APT or any other tool is
not the issue here.  I have repeatedly stated that the
"client tool" has _nothing_ to do with _anything_ we are
talking about.  In fact, 99% of the confusion is because
people are only used to using the "client tool" and not
actually how the repository works.

The "yum client" program has *0* to do with this discussion,
its how the "yum repository" is organized over simplistic
HTTP.  Switching to SmartPM does not solve it at all, because
it's still using a YUM repository.

> So sorry. Do you ever pause before you click send and ask
> yourself is sending this necessary?

Do you ever stop to read what people are discussing before
just saying "use product X" to "fix problem Y" which you
clearly didn't even stop to read?

> I said I wasn't entering the thread.

You were entering into the thread by suggesting someone "use
product X" to "fix problem Y" where X is wholly inapplicable.

It's like saying fix your Apache issue by using Microsoft
Windows with Internet Explorer as your client instead of
Linux with Firefox as your client.  The client is _not_ the
problem, it's the server, and changing clients does
_nothing_.  ;->

At this point, you're reminding me of Dilbert's point-hair
boss.  You're suggest something that is wholly inapplicable
to the discussion.  I merely pointed that out, and if you
want to take offense to it, then I can't help you.