[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:54:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 14:45, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Well, let's see, you want to have everyone in the world except
> you to have to maintain a dozen repository "states" (rather
> ill-defined word) so you can have the luxury of not doing so
> yourself. And, never having maintained one (let alone a dozen)
> repository "states" (whatever they are), you presume that it
> is easy.

No, that's what I want to avoid.  Everyone else responding
*is* maintaining snapshot copies of repositories and I
don't think anyone should have to.  Yum's view of a
repository consists of all the hdr files it has downloaded
from it.  I want it to pretend that files added after
a certain time weren't there, thus creating a view of
the state of the repository at a prior time.  Given
only that, nothing anyone has said yet has convinced
me that that yum would not make the same decisions
about update versions again.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com