[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:54:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 14:45, Mike McCarty wrote:

> Well, let's see, you want to have everyone in the world except
> you to have to maintain a dozen repository "states" (rather
> ill-defined word) so you can have the luxury of not doing so
> yourself. And, never having maintained one (let alone a dozen)
> repository "states" (whatever they are), you presume that it
> is easy.

No, that's what I want to avoid.  Everyone else responding
*is* maintaining snapshot copies of repositories and I
don't think anyone should have to.  Yum's view of a
repository consists of all the hdr files it has downloaded
from it.  I want it to pretend that files added after
a certain time weren't there, thus creating a view of
the state of the repository at a prior time.  Given
only that, nothing anyone has said yet has convinced
me that that yum would not make the same decisions
about update versions again.

  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com