[CentOS] maximum cpus/cores in CentOS 4.1

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 9 22:01:39 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>
>>The world that shows that, if 3 is less than 4, then 3 is
>>also less than 10.
>

> SPARC and Xeon are not comparable in generalities.
> Xeon and Opteron are not comparable in generalities.
>

>>No, they are not completely different.  Last time I
>>checked, they both executed instructions,
>

> Are you for real?

Bryan, may I speak as a friend?

I think that the thread about yum has gotten you (somewhat)
understandably agitated, and it's starting to spill over
a little into other areas. I suggest that you back off and
relax with a cold one (it's 5:00 here in Dallas), and start
over tomorrow.

I have no idea about this thread, since I'm not a CPU expert.
I have written code with spinlocks for multiprocessors, but
that's about it. My main experience is with MIMD loosely-coupled, not
tightly-coupled. So I'm not going to comment on the thread
in general. I will say that it is pretty ridiculous to claim
that two processors are essentially the same because they
are both stored-program machines.

Anyway, maybe things are just getting a bit much for you
today. I know that they have for me a few times.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.