[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 22:12:37 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 16:16, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > I want it to pretend that files added after
> > a certain time weren't there, thus creating a view of
> > the state of the repository at a prior time.  Given
> > only that, nothing anyone has said yet has convinced
> > me that that yum would not make the same decisions
> > about update versions again.
> I thought I mentioned something about file timestamps not
> guaranteeing file content. The date of a file is simply
> the moment in time when it got placed onto the web server.
> I'm not sure yum can even get that information, but if it
> could, it would be useless.

How would ftp based mirroring work or http caching work
if you couldn't tell if a file was newer than a certain
time?  The moment in time a file was placed the repository
is all yum would need to know to not consider it if it
appeared after the specified timestamp.

> A repository is really just a
> web page, and yum is just a wget with some control files
> which tell it what to pull. So I don't think that yum's view
> of a repository is quite what you think.

It used to be.  I'm not sure about the new xml gunk and
what all it caches.

  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com