[CentOS] Why is yum not liked by some?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Fri Sep 9 23:59:30 UTC 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 17:03, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Do you understand how annoyingly arrogant you sound?  I am not a child,
> > Bryan.

> You aren't a child, but you are naive. You seem intelligent, but,
> I hope you won't get offended, as I mean no offence, you are very
> ignorant. Remember, ignorance, like epoxy, can be cured. There is
> no cure for stupidity. And I don't think that you are stupid.

Well, let me just put it this way.  I maintained the PostgreSQL RPMs, doing
releases and such, for over five years.  This is an issue I have thought long
and hard about, since a full set of PostgreSQL RPMs is over 10MB.  There were
many times a bugfix would come from upstream, and it would be maybe a hundred
bytes of compiled object code, touching maybe half a dozen object files.  But
then, due to the interdependencies, because of a HUNDRED BYTE CHANGE users
had to pull down nearly TEN MEGABYTES of code.  That, my friend, is what is
ludicrous.  There has got to be a better way.

The existing 'glorified wget' as you put it isn't really the greatest solution
on earth; up2date and the RHN backend (with the XMLRPC stuff) is probably a
better one for delivery of this kind of thing.  An RHN-workalike backend in
the form of current is available.

But the space and bandwidth issues will only get worse; when a full update to
KDE comes down, it may be sparked by a change of a few kilobytes up to a
megabyte of actual binary change, but then it requires hundreds of megabytes
downloaded (and MIRRORED!) to fix.  Or tens of bytes change in
OpenOffice.org; now you're downloading hundreds of megabytes for a kilobyte
binary change.  That is ridiculous.

No, I am not ignorant of the issues, and I know far better than to think the
issues are trivial; they are not.  But they are not 'unfeasible' as Bryan put
it, and just saying 'that's ludicrous, don't even bother!' is even more

I am not a novice; I would like to think I am not ignorant.  I may be guilty
of being optimistic in that I think the open source community can solve this
problem.  Are you going to tell the community that this is an unsolvable
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology
Pisgah Astronomical Research Institute
1 PARI Drive