[CentOS] Delay during boot up

Sean O'Connell oconnell at soe.ucsd.edu
Sat Sep 10 02:50:01 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 11:38 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >I would recommend that you remark out the line that mounts that drive
> >in /etc/fstab and reboot to see if it still does that.
> >
> Okay, I commented the line out of /etc/fstab and the long delay during
> the boot process is still there.
>
> So now I'm at a loss to suggest any other recent configuration that I've
> done that could potentially be the problem.
>
> Without having any other guesses about what is causing the delay, what
> would be a way to diagnose it?

You could try changing the kernel entry in /etc/grub.conf and remove the
"rhgb quiet" to disable the graphical boot. This will give you the
classic linux boot look and you can watch what is happening as it goes
through the startup and see where it is hanging. One thing that often
causes a "longish" hang is bringing up an interface that doesn't have a
network cable attached to it while it tries to find a dhcp server
(although this is much better than it used to be).

--
Sean