[CentOS] Installation problem, possibly RAID

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Sep 10 04:38:03 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-09 at 22:58 -0400, Edward Diener wrote:
> I burned a DVD for CentOS 4.1. I booted from it and everything went fine for the
> graphical screen installation. I choose separate partitions for my /boot (hde6),
> / (hde9), and swap (hde12) areas. My /boot partition was ext2 and my / partition
> was ext3. I installed grub in my /boot partition successfully. I have a Boot
> Loader, System Commander 8.13 which controls the MBR. The installation then
> nicely ejected my DVD disk, told me to remove any other installation media, and
> rebooted my machine. It rebooted into System Commander, I chose the CentOS boot
> partition, and this rebooted me to CentOS without a problem.
>
> CentOS now finished its installation steps, among which was setting up a user
> account, and attempted to bring up the login screen. My screen went dark, the
> icon went to a waiting/turning icon for a long time, and I said to myself uh-oh.
> Finally with most of the screen still dark a small message box appeared with an
> OK button which said:
>
> "Can not start the greeter program, you will not be able to log in. This display
> will be disabled. Try logging in by other means and editing the configuration file."
>
> I pressed OK, my screen went into text mode, and repeated lines of:
>
> ext3-fs error
> (device hde9) in start transaction, Journal has aborted.
>
> continued to fill the screen.
>
> The only way to proceed was to hit the restart button of my computer.
>
> My thoughts of possible reasons for the failure are these. My hard drive is off
> of an HPT 374 Raid controller, without Raid being actually used on it, and is a
> 160 GB hard drive, 147 GB formatted. The /boot (hde6) partition starts at
> approximately the 56 GB boundary, the / (hde9) partition starts at approximately
> the 76 GB, and the swap drive starts at approximately the 106 GB boundary.
>
> Is it possible that I needed to turn on LBA32 as an install option, since there
> was a screen where I could have checked it but did not ? Is it possible that I
> needed to tell the install, when choosing my partitions for /boot,/, and swap
> that this was a Raid controller, event though I am not using Raid with it, since
> I noticed a Raid button on the Disk Druid graphical screen but used Edit instead
> to set up my partitions ? Is it possible that CentOS either does not support my
> Raid controller or supports it in some earlier release which does not work
> properly even when not using Raid, so that I need to install the proper release
> of it somehow during the installation process ?
>
> I am groping for answers but am really hoping that someone has some knowledge of
> this problem so that I can use CentOS. Everything went well until the final
> disaster, and I was keen on getting CentOS to install on my computer. I had
> previously tried FC4 previously but that wouldn't even get past my graphical
> screen, failing because I have a Matrox P650 video adapter, but CentOS handled
> [...]
----
sounds like you handled things right but I'm confused as to what
comprises things like /dev/hde1, hde2, hde3, hde4, hde5 etc.

is it possible for you to boot CD #1 again and type 'linux rescue' (no
quotes) at the boot prompt to enter rescue mode.

When it completes booting, it would be interesting to find out...

fdisk -l /dev/hde

(this will list the partitions)

you could try repairing the partitions...

e2fsck -fy /dev/hde6
e2fsck -fy /dev/hde9

Is this a dual-boot with Windows? If so, did Windows think any part of
hde to be part of a RAID array?

Craig