[CentOS] Mailinglist moderation

Sat Sep 10 11:30:03 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 12:49 +0200, Dominik Składanowski wrote:
> > I think the time (150 messages and counting) has come to ask someone of
> > the CentOS team to start moderating this list. I don't mind people
> > discussing whatever topic they like, but not at the expense of the
> > mailinglist and its members.
> >
> > I don't think the topic really doesn't matter in these discussions, and if
> > done in private they would stand for long anyway.
> >
> > I would propose someone who has authority of moderating people to send out
> > a warning when a thread has to end (eg. when people start repeating
> > themselves or insults become the main theme) and if necessary temporarily
> > moderate these people/the thread.
> >
> > I think the mere existence of such a moderator could be sufficient to end
> > lasting threads like the previous.
>
> In my opinion the best way would be make few more detailed lists. Ex.:
> security at centos.org hardware at centos.org etc.

We have discussed this (more lists).  That might be good for some
things. We'll look at it again.

In the meantime ... I don't want to babysit people.

For crying out load, we don't need to personally attack people and
resort to very negative things.

With the thread in question (which I have a couple posts to), we could
have easily posted some examples of both a centos 3 and 4 metadata file
and had some meaningful discussions without belittling people.

I firmly believe in freedom of speech (or I would not be helping with
CentOS in the first place), so there will be no removing of threads or
blocking of posts unless they are totally outrageous.

I also do not want to block people from posting to the list, and that
will also be an absolute last resort.

Just let each of us take a little personal responsibility and hold back
on some things and see if we can work through the issues and not also
add personal attacks and to our posts.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes
CentOS-4 Lead Developer