[CentOS] Re: Installation problem, possibly RAID

Edward Diener eddielee at tropicsoft.com
Sat Sep 10 14:28:23 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Edward Diener <eddielee at tropicsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>But obviously CentOS did not. Why ?
>

> Installers are not perfect, and they never will be.
> That includes Windows especially.

I was thinking that somebody, given the error I reported on this post, might
know why it occurred. I understand that installers are not perfect but they
should give error messages that might tell one what went wrong.

>>Again, as explained in my OP, I have no RAID array but just
>>the HPT 374 onboard RAID controller handling my hard
>
> drives.
>
> Yep.  FRAID cards are just "regular ATA" bus arbitrators.
> So as long as you don't setup the RAID organization, the
> disks should not have any special striping/blocking.
>
> The HPT36x/37x are no exception, they are standard ATA
> channels, period.
>

>>This is because my normal IDE contrller
>>has other non-harddisk devices attached to it.
>

> Yep, ATAPI devices like CD/DVD.
>
> -- Bryan
>
> P.S.  BTW, I've just started deploying some Intel i8xx/9xx
> systems with ICH5+ controllers and I am extremely
> _disappointed_ with the BIOS disk / Linux device mapping that
> causes both installer and rescue mode recovery issues.  It
> was clearly not as "well thought out" by Intel compared to
> most of the nVidia MCP-04 ATA/SATA.  Is it a newer Intel
> i8xx/9xx chipset?

No it is an older Via chipset, the KT333 northbridge and the VT8233A
southbridge, using an AMD processor. The mobo is an Abit AT7. I have had this
machine run SimpleMEPIS and FC3. I was able to upgrade to the latest 3.3.1
version of SimpleMEPIS. I failed completely to get FC4 to install due to the
fact that my video adapter's ( Matrox 650 ) support using VESA went bad between
FC3 and FC4, and now have experienced this problem with CentOS. It is
disappointing to see Linux get worse, rather than better, as new distros are
created in dealing with hardware.