[CentOS] Re: Why is yum not liked by some? -- CVS analogy (and why you're not getting it)

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sat Sep 10 16:23:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 07:42, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> OK ...
>
> There have been some good suggestions on this thread ...
>
> 1.  It might be good if you could pass a date as a command line option
> to yum ... and have yum not consider anything after that date as being
> in the repo.
>
> That is a good suggestion for the yum mailing list:

Which fails if the repo you are pointing to has to restore the repo
files and the datetime stamp changes....

IMHO a completely different application should be used.  This
application is mostly a database that tracks a list of rpms.  If you
want to build a copy of a system you select the particular snapshot (the
list of rpm versions you decided was the image) and the new utility
proceeds to pull those rpms from the repo and install them on the target
system.  This new application would allow you to create multiple
snapshots and select which one you wanted to use.

A long time ago I used to use something like that with HP systems.  I
think they used something called a kickstart file or something similar.
Been a very long time since I used that.  But every system built with
the same kickstart file had the same software load along with
configuration options applied.

Trying to cram this into yum is IMHO going to make yum overly complex
and more difficult to use.