[CentOS] mkfs.ext3 on a 9TB volume

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Sep 11 05:14:58 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-10 at 19:03 -0700, Francois Caen wrote:
> What am I doing wrong? What wall am I hitting around 4TB?

There are some size limitations _below_ the current 16TiB (17.6TB)
"absolute" limitations depending on various geometry/hardware
considerations.  Kernel version can also reduce the "absolute" as well.

I don't have a list because I personally never make an Ext3 filesystem
greater than 1TB, period.  And I try to keep them below 100GBs if I can
help it.

As I mentioned before, I have some Fedora Core 3 (FC3) systems in
test/limited production with XFS, which is what I use for TB-sized
filesystems.  So far, so good, at least on the very latest kernels.  But
I have not deployed XFS in heavy production since the 1.3.1 release on
Red Hat Linux (RHL) 9, and the overwhelming majority of my deployments
were the 1.2.x release on Red Hat Linux (RHL) 7.3.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com