[CentOS] mkfs.ext3 on a 9TB volume

Francois Caen frcaen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 04:01:39 UTC 2005

On 9/11/05, Bryan J. Smith <b.j.smith at ieee.org> wrote:
> I don't think I _ever_ said it couldn't be done.
> In fact, the Ext3 support is now up to 17.6TB (16TiB) now.

Not according to the ext3 FAQ (see link in thread) and some extensive
testing I did over the weekend.
Ext2 is 16TB. Ext3 is only 4TB.

> But is there any guarantee that volume will work if moved to another set
> of hardware, kernels, etc...???  As I said, I _never_ create Ext3
> filesystems greater than 1TB for this reason.  1TB is the "common
> denominator" when it comes to Ext3.

I've seen you mention that 1TB limit. Could you please post some
references to it?
I'm now familiar with limits at 2TB (gpt), 4TB (ext3), 16TB (ext2) but
you're the only person talking about a 1TB barrier.

> There's all sorts of "requirements" for Ext3 sizes above 1TB

I'd like to hear about that.

Thanks,
Francois