[CentOS] mkfs.ext3 on a 9TB volume

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Sep 12 16:13:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 at 12:05pm, Chris Mauritz wrote

> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> >The one gotcha in this setup (other than not being able to boot from the
> >big RAID5 arrays, since each is >2TiB) is that the version of mdadm
> >shipped with RHEL4 does not support array members bigger than 2TiB.  I had
> >to upgrade to an upstream release to get that support.
> >

> I would be interested in hearing the details on that.  I ended up
> hunting down all the mdadm stuff and recompiling everything from SRPMs.

Which part -- the booting or the mdadm 2TiB support?  The former I've
talked about on this list before.  There's not much to say on the latter.
mdadm-1.6.0-2 (still current in RHEL4, AFAIK) says "Cannot get size of
/dev/sda4: File too large", e.g., when an array member is > 2TiB.  I
downloaded mdadm-1.11.0.tgz from
<http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~neilb/source/mdadm/> (which was current at
the time), did 'rpmbuild -tb' on it, and installed the resulting RPM,
which worked.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering