[CentOS] errors received in logs

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 14 17:38:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 10:30 -0700, Steven Vishoot wrote:

> > ----
> > my initial reaction is one that favors my bias
> > against Maxtor drives
> > which would say to ditch the drive now.
> >
> > man hdparm
> >
> > man smartctl (though I would recommend hdparm as an
> > easier interface)
> >
> > Craig

> hello Craig,
>
> why the bias against maxtor? in all the times i have
> had maxtor i have not had any problems. I thought
> western digital had the problems with hard ware
> slapping. where the read/write head would contact the
> platter and that was it for the drive, but that was
> many years ago. Have they cleaned up their act or
> should i say their drives. I will not touch
> IBM/Hiatchi i have had tooooooooooooooooooo many
> problems. right now it would be hard to convince the
> wife to spend money on the computer when i dont have a
> job now. :-(
----
my experiences with Maxtor are anecdotal and not numerically significant
so I wouldn't presume that everyone else has the same impressions about
Maxtor quality/reliability that I have. Thus you shouldn't draw any
inference that my impressions are anything more than personal
impressions.

I had great experiences with IBM Deskstar and now that they are owned by
Hitachi, I haven't seen much in terms of changes. I have always liked WD
stuff too. Again, this is nothing more than a personal experiences and
not statistically significant.

You should concentrate on seeing if you hard drive issues are
surmountable if you can't afford a new drive.

Craig