[CentOS] Are PHP and MySQL running on my CentOS installation?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Fri Sep 16 12:31:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 00:02 +1200, Tom wrote:
> he is using centos and is a new user :)

No kidding. Didn't Johnny just cover this?

> > Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> >
> >> I wrote a small test HTML page with basic head and body information, and
> >> simply this PHP in the body:
> >> <?php
> >> echo 'hello world':
> >> ?>
> >> And then opened it in FireFox. As expected, it didn't display anything.

First off, if the colon is actually in your code, make sure that's gone.

Secondly, what I find helpful (and I didn't have to disable SELinux to
get this to work, so you might prefer this perhaps) is to create a
virtualhost in which to do all my work. So if you haven't already done
that, you might give that a shot. Unlike many distros the Apache
configuration tool is actually pretty handy and works pretty well. I've
been using Ruby for a while, so haven't setup PHP and virtual hosts on
this machine until just now, but it only took me a minute to use the
HTTP panel under "Server Settings" to create a virtual host and point it
to a new directory (like /var/www/sites/testing/) and then browse to
that site.

I then edit /etc/hosts and add a line that's something like....

127.0.0.1               testing

That's my practice, at least.

Preston