[CentOS] Boot/init problem with IBM Netfinity 4500

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:43:33 UTC 2005

On 16/09/05, Will McDonald <wmcdonald at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:43 +0100, Will McDonald wrote:
> > > The install went fine but now the box will boot, run through the
> > > initrd init sequence, perform its switchroot then hang here...
> > >
> > > SELinux: Initializing.
> > > SELinux: Starting in permissive mode

Right, after breaking the box open to see if removing the PCI 3com NIC
and using the on-board AMD NIC (which used to cause all sorts of
problems with older RH and FC releases) it seems to be sorted.

It wasn't the NIC though, it turns out the machine was booting but
complaining during POST about one CPU. I assumed this would be because
it had a VRM for a 2nd CPU but no actual processor in there. I was
wrong. Previously it ran FC2 fine with a uni-processor kernel.

I reseated both processors which cleared the POST errors, reinstalled
and that sorted the problem! The installer noted both processors and
installed the correct SMP kernel, I couldn't be bothered fighting to
get the RPM installed in a chrooted rescue environment. No doubt it's
no-able but probably would've taken as long. :)

Will.