[CentOS] Re: Mailing list guidelines and moderation

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:48:47 UTC 2005

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-09-17 at 03:30 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>
>>Hey Guys,
>>
>>I am looking to put together a set of guidelines for posting on the
>>CentOS Mailing Lists. The aim being that we come up with a framework
>>that is then enforceable by a moderator, should the need arise.
>

> Be polite.
>
> The end.
>
> Preston

I wholly object to the educated and sensible remark! ^_^

Now Preston, polite is a subjective matter. What I consider to be
 polite or simply non-wordy (terse) may be offensive or mean to
someone else, so simply telling everyone to be polite is not
necessarily "enough". I don't think.

However, someone in another thread (I obviously am not hunting it
 down) mentioned criticism not being done to the list so that
feelings aren't hurt and what not. That was the jist of it
anyhow. That seems like a good idea that way people aren't
feeling they have something to defend. If something is not wholly
incorrect but maybe one of those "YMMV" things, then by all means
post to the list with possible scenarios to highlight that.
There's not need to get ugly about it.

On the other hand it would probably be a good idea that if
someone is blatantly incorrect that an off list discussion take
place (likely with documentation stating otherwise) so that the
poster could correct themselves or someone else can simply point
to documentation that states "this information given was not
correct, maybe the poster has gotten some outdated or incorrect
information passed to them".

I may not be explaining myself well, but I think this comes
across fairly easily. Clarification?

HTH

Alex White