[CentOS] Installing Java on X86_64 CentOS 4.1

Mon Sep 19 19:12:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 11:17 -0400, David Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 05:51 -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > >
> > > I'll second the suggestion to run the 32-bit browser.
> > > What do we gain by using a 64-bit version of Firefox?  So many of the
> > > plugins won't work with it & aren't available in 64bit.
> > >
> > > If there's no gain, would it not make sense to stop building the 64-bit
> > > version and default to the 32-bit version?
> >
> > Maybe ... but we build it like the upstream provider.  They release
> > firefox only as an x86_64 version for el4 ... therefore so do we.
>
> So should we file reports in Red Hat's bugzilla or lobby you to make an
> exception in this case? ;-)
>
> The current system (64-bit browser) breaks things and requires manual
> intervention to get things working.  If you stop building Firefox for
> 64-bit architectures, yum will fall back to the 32-bit versions which
> work, meaning that no manual intervention will be required.

Only if all the .i386 packages required to run the .i386 version of
FireFox are also in the x86_64 tree.  They may or may not be included.

BUT ... we will keep the main tree exactly like the one from upstream.

Let me see if I can figure out what packages are required.

If you do this, it will probably work OK:

1.  Download firefox-1.0.6-1.4.2.centos4.i386.rpm from here:

http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4/updates/i386/RPMS/

2.  Use this command (from within the directory where you downloaded
firefox):

yum install firefox-1.0.6-1.4.2.centos4.i386.rpm

3.  When I did this, it resolved all the required i386 and i686 packages
from the x86_64 tree.

4.  That doesn't mean that there are all the required i386 items to run
the 32-bit plugins or Java.  This will break your ability to properly
build RPMS from SRPMS that are 64bit.

Personally, if you need to run 32-bit software, I would just install the
i386 distro on my x86_64.