[CentOS] Is it bad for my web document folder to be user accessible?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Sep 21 02:30:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 11:22 +0900, Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> On my computer, really the only user is me, sometimes being a regular
> user, and sometimes being a super user.
>
> Should I make a group that includes me in regular user mode, or somehow
> grant permissions to me as an individual.
>
> And... um... how do I do that?
>
> Is it:
> chmod 775 -R /var/www/html/

----
I find that it's safer to not use octals but rather absolutes...

chmod g+w -R /var/www/html

but I would think in your situation, you might want to create a symlink
to a folder within your home directory...

mkdir /home/dave/web-files
chmod g+w,o+w /home/dave/web-files
ln -s /home/dave/web-files /var/www/html/web-files

and to access, you would point mozilla to localhost/web-files

this may cause some issues with SELinux - you might have to permission
that directory for SELinux
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-apache-fc3/

Craig

believed to be clean.