[CentOS] Kernel building

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Thu Sep 22 15:57:33 UTC 2005

Les, is there any performance hit by using the stock kernel?  One reason
I ask, is the application that hopefully will be running if we can get
the compile done is very number-crunching intensive.  In fact, that is
about all it does do aside from generating a few files.  Altho I've got
more than adequate horsepower to handle the job, I was just curious if
there were any "standard reasons" to either build or not build.  As for
file sizes, no problem on space.  I see from the bit I've looked around
at the filesystem the kernal is not too large as it is, but of course, I
don't know what the vsize is at runtime either.  I know there is a lot
of reading material in the man pages, and other sources too, but to get
some more generalized info to start with is my goal.

--
Snowman