[CentOS] Recommendation On Ping And Alert Tool

Kennedy Clark hkclark at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 21:25:14 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

Great thread. Thanks to all for their input!

Bryan asks a good question about whether we are looking for a full SNMP
tool. Actually, we have some pretty big systems that already handle those
functions. For this project, we are just looking for ping-type "is it up or
down" information on a "subset of the overall network."

It looks like Jacob's recommendation for Mon could be spot on. But, that
being said, OpenNMS and Zabbix look pretty cool and worth a look (possibly
for other projects with more complex needs). Re a script, I was going to do
something like that if I couldn't get anything here :-) but I was trying to
avoid having to add in the "don't send and email every time it checks during
a prolonged outage" (just send at the beginning and maybe the end).

Let me know if folks think of other ideas.

Thanks again,
Kennedy