[CentOS] DPMS or hardware

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Fri Sep 23 18:33:58 UTC 2005

List,

    I've been bugged by the fact that the dpms function will not work on
this machine, and perhaps now I have some clue as to why.  Looking at
the Xorg.0.log, I see where "Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such
file or directory)" which tells me perhaps this is the reason why it
won't turn off the monitor.  Also, this line prior to the other.
`fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/".  That part I can maybe fix, but I
have no clue what should be in the /dev/apm.  The only thing that will
happen is the monitor will go into screeensaver mode, or if no saver
selected, it will do nothing, not even blank.

    What should the /dev/apm contain?  Where does it pick up the info as
to what should be in there, from a probe of the hardware?  That said,
does the fact that I'm using a custom video driver from ATI make any
difference?

--
Snowman