[CentOS] CENTOS 3.5 (AMD64) NFS install issue

Dr R L Oswald, (CCC) - CRANFIELD UNIVERSITY UK (From home) L.Oswald at cranfield.ac.uk
Fri Sep 23 19:02:29 UTC 2005

At 16:47 23/09/05, you wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 04:22:45PM +0100, Dr R L Oswald wrote:
> > We operate a cluster of Sun Xeon IA32 servers with Centos 3.5. Nodes are
>[...]
>
> > The CENTOS 3.5 ISO images are exported from a server & that remote NFS
>[... kickstart with NFS exported x86_64 iso...]
> >
> > When we install these 64-bit nodes, however, we get the message: "that
> > directory could not be mounted from the server". On hitting OK we get
> > the usual dialogue box which displays our chosen server IP and the
> > correct x86_64 ISO directory, if we OK that, the NFS installation
> > proceeds unattended as normal.
>I have seen that when the NFS server was too slow to answer the
>fast opteron boxes.. YMMV

Hi Tru

Well NFS server is a Xeon 3GHz DP with 6GB RAM & all connections are
GE into the same switch. Its is not actually NFS serving anything
else but on-demand Centos installs. One would have hoped that it
would cope as it does with the other 3GHz clients. I'll take a look
at what limited NFS tuning can be done with the Linux NFS daemon
[compared to a genuine Solaris one that is >:-} ]

However your theory could explain the variability we saw with RH9 -
the NFS server is one of two front ends to a cluster, sometimes
students cause a brief heavy load on the server by running compute
tasks that they are not meant to & that would impact NFS server response time.

Les