[CentOS] booting from copied ext3 software raid fs to normal fs

dan1

dan1 at edenpics.com
Sat Sep 24 12:20:56 UTC 2005

Hello.

I am trying to boot CentOS 4 from a copy of an ext3 software RAID 1
filesystem (md) which has been copied to a normal ext3 filesystem (hd). I am
almost getting there, exept that the system hangs after booting the kernel.
I copied the datas from the /boot and / partitions to two similar partitions
on the backuped disk with mirrordir (can also be done with cp or dd). I have
setup the new disk with grub and I can reach the grub stage 2. It will also
boot the kernel properly, but it will hang during the SElinux initialisation
(which is disabled). I don't know exactly if it's a mount or SElinux
problem.
Also, it seems that the raid device is trying to be initialised, and I don't
have an md but an hd on that drive. This comes probably from the original
setup.

My question is: does somebody know how I can change that behaviour and let
linux mount the hd instead of the md coming from the original ?
Do I need to boot another vmlinuz image or another initrd for it to work
properly ? In this case, how could I generate those new images ?

The output of the boot sequence is the following:

Mounting sysfs
Creating /dev
Starting udev
md: raid1 personnality registered as nr 3
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
md: Autodetecting RAID arrays.
md: autorun ...
md: ... autorun DONE.
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
mount: error 2 mounting none
Switching to new root
SElinux: Disabled at runtime
SElinux: Unregistering netfilter hooks

Then, it hangs here undefinitely.

Here is my menu.lst grub file on the backup disk I want to boot from:
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.9-11.106.unsupported)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported root=/dev/hda3
        initrd /initrd-2.6.9-11.106.unsupported.img

Here is it's fstab:
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext3    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               /                       ext3    defaults        0 0
/dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel