[CentOS] Repost ----DPMS or hardware

Sam Drinkard

sam at wa4phy.net
Sat Sep 24 22:05:06 UTC 2005

List,

	Did not get any response from the first attempt, so thought I'd ask again.

    I've been bugged by the fact that the dpms function will not work on
this machine, and perhaps now I have some clue as to why.  Looking at
the Xorg.0.log, I see where "Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such
file or directory)" which tells me perhaps this is the reason why it
won't turn off the monitor.  Also, this line prior to the other.
`fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/".  That part I can maybe fix, but I
have no clue what should be in the /dev/apm.  The only thing that will
happen is the monitor will go into screeensaver mode, or if no saver
selected, it will do nothing, not even blank.

    What should the /dev/apm contain?  Where does it pick up the info as
to what should be in there, from a probe of the hardware?  That said,
does the fact that I'm using a custom video driver from ATI make any
difference?

Thanks for any help.....

--
Snowman