[CentOS] applets reported as dying unexpectedy on login

Tony

pthagonal at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 08:56:02 UTC 2005

Ever since the xorg-x11 security update of September 13th, I often see the
following 3 messages on login:

The "Show Desktop" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.Do you want to
reload this applet?
The "Window List" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.Do you want to
reload this applet?
The "Workspace Switcher" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.Do you
want to reload this applet?

Answering yes to all 3 keeps things ticking along happily- but it's not good
for my users to see this as they have just about got the hang of answering
'no' by default when an o/s pops up some unexpected question that they don't
understand.

I'm seeing this across quite a wide range of i386 machines - from 1GHz
pIII's authenticating by LDAP to a standalone 3200+ Athlon at a completely
different location.

I assume this is either an upstream bug, or a consistent misconfiguration on
my part. Is anyone else seeing it, or does anyone have any suggestions?

--
Cheers,

Tony