[CentOS] Help Wanted With kPPP

Sudev Barar sbarar at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 14:14:58 UTC 2005

On 9/25/05, Glen Roy <centos at cooyal.com> wrote:
> I need all users to be able to dial into the Internet using either kppp
> or whatever without being asked for a root password. I only have
> dial-up, thanks to Telstra. I've searched for days and tried various
> things but no luck. Please help me out with simple, step-by-step
> instructions aimed at a new user. I tried changing permissions, creating
> dialout group and adding users but no luck. Hope to hear from someone
> soon in regards to this issue.

Use "neat" First start neat and give root password when prompted, add
modem in hardware tab by clicking on new. Then in the Devices tab
click new and create a modem connection giving all details. After
hitting finish again click on the edit for modem connection. You will
see "Allow users to start" box tick this while "Activate at start"
should be unticked.
Test modem connection by activating modem and de-activating.

Now users can start / stop this connection from menu
Application>System Tools>Network Device Control or by command
"system-control-network"

Basically neat uses /etc/wvdial.conf file to store dial up details and
uses wvdial command.
HTH
Sudev Barar
Learning Linux