[CentOS] Programmer types

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Sep 26 02:38:21 UTC 2005

Tim Edwards wrote:

> The compat-glibc packages from Centos4 are glibc 2.3.2 not 2.3.3. If
> you can successfuly do a rpm -q glibc-compat or rpm -ql glibc-compat
> then they're installed. Unfortunately it looks like you need glibc
> 2.3.3 :(
> You might need to look at compiling glibc-2.3.3 from source or
> googling for glibc2.3.3 and trying one of the RPMs for it from another
> distro (definately something to try on a test machine first!).

Tim, I believe you hit the nail on the head that time.  I'm not
positive, but there actually could be a problem with the portland
group's compiler.  There have been too many instances of folks building
this software on a similar platform with only minor problems.  I've run
into library problems almost since I installed it.  I'm about ready to
dump the 64 and drop back to the 32-bit version, if for nothing else,
compatiblity' sake with some of this software.  I took a look at the pgf
library with nm, and there is only one instance where it calls the 2.3
version, and does NOT specify 2.3.3, so there may be something in the
sources causing problems too, but again, it's been built on similar
systems, but most likely with earlier versions of both the compiler and
the OS.  I'm at the point now till I have just about run out of options,
and after looking at a 2.3.3 version rpm, it won't install because of
dependencies and I'm just not going that far with this.  I've already
spent way too much time tracking down problems, and it still is a dead
in the water project.  I'll give serious thought to building the sources
for that lib, only ifI can verify it *has* to have it..

Thanks for your insights...

--
Snowman