[CentOS] MythTV on Centos 4

Sam Drinkard sam at wa4phy.net
Mon Sep 26 18:34:55 UTC 2005

Kirk Bocek wrote:

> I'm starting a project to build a MythTV box for my living room.
> Anyone else currently working with MythTV on CentOS 4?
>
> Here are some of the gotcha's I've worked through so far:
>
> - I was originally planning on using KnoppMyth. But their CD appears
> to be only for i386. Without realizing it, the P4 CPU I picked is one
> of the newer ones with the x86_64 extensions. It won't boot i386.
> Thus, my plan B is going with CentOS4 x86_64 and installing from the
> ATrpms collection. Here's someone who's already doing this:
>
> http://umich2.com/archives/category/linux/mythtv/
>
> - I picked up a cheap Radeon 7000 with TV out. Wrong! Various posts
> seem to say that the TV Out functionality is not supported by the
> X.org radeon driver. It *does* work with the vesa driver though. I
> just don't know if video and DVD playback will work with the vesa
> driver. Does anyone know?
>
> - The stock RedHat kernel does *not* have irda support enabled. I
> downloaded 2.6.13.2, enabled irda, and my motherboard's irda port is
> found and configured. We'll see if I can get it to work with the IR
> adapter in the nMediaPC case I bought.
>
> Kirk Bocek

Kirk,

    I've got an X600 ATI board, and the ATI driver *does* support the TV
out function as well as dual monitors in either horizontal or vertical
splits.  I don't use the TV-out function.  I believe I recall seeing the
7000 series being supported.  Might check the ATI website.

Good luck..

Sam

--
Snowman